Thursday, June 28, 2012

An Office with a View... of Paris

I had my 4th interview with the multi-national company today!  I got to experience a couple hours in the day of  a "salesperson's" life.  It was hectic but meshed well with my ADD personality.  I'm excited to start already, but they want me to visit more people and places.  I told them a story about how my father changed careers from law to financial advisor with Merrill Lynch.   He was a little older than I am now, and hated working in law,  its the ADD thing!  He applied for a job at Merrill Lynch and they rejected him.  Well, he wasn't about to take no for an answer so he showed up anyway and they gave him a desk.  He worked there 15 years before he retired.  I jokingly warned them today, that I was going to come back and sit at the empty desk by the door if they didn't hire me already!

Earlier this week, I visited the very bustling Los Angeles office.  It was humming with energy and everyone was happy.   I got the courage to tell the big boss that one day I wanted to work in the Paris office.   Yikes, in the past, during an interview, I would say anything they wanted to hear to get the job.  This time, I was authentic and told him what I really want.  Wow, what a concept!     He had recently been to Paris and wanted to know if I knew where the office was located.  I told him the exact location in the 9th, near the Opera and Galleries Lafayette, just two streets away from my favorite shoe store.  Of course, I had already google mapped it!    Now he knew how to motivate me and he introduced me to an account exec who had recently relocated from the UK and now was living his dream life in Santa Monica, blocks from the beach and 10 minutes from the office.  The message to me was clear :  anything's possible when you ask for what you want.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was Gandhi who said something like: it is funny how if you expect the best, the world will give it to you. Good for you, for taking the risk and asking for what you want. I am so excited for you. :)<3

    ReplyDelete